Kim Walters is an intellectual property specialist with more than 20 years of experience in law. She is a director of W3IP Law, a specialist intellectual property and digital law firm which focuses on the Internet and information technology sectors.
Kim has advised clients throughout Australia and overseas on a wide range of commercial and intellectual property matters. With ten years’ experience as corporate counsel for a top mining corporation in Western Australia and an international hotel management chain in Southeast Asia, she brings an exceptionally strong commercial and strategic perspective to her legal advice.
She has extensive experience in trade mark branding strategies, copyright matters, patents, technology licensing, commercialisation, intellectual property disputes and litigation, software agreements, privacy and data protection.
Kim was admitted as a solicitor in New Zealand in 1989, in New South Wales in 1993, in Western Australia in 2002 and in Queensland in 2011.
In practice, Kim has also advised various Government departments in the area of intellectual property. In addition to being a lawyer, Kim is a registered trade marks attorney and is undertaking her Masters of Intellectual Property at the University of Technology, Sydney. She is deputy chair of the Queensland Law Society’s specialist Technology and Intellectual Property Committee (TIPS) and a committee member of the IT Forum Gold Coast.
W3IP Law Pty Ltd is an intellectual property law practice, specialising in digital business and technology law.
We have extensive experience in the process of protecting and enforcing your intellectual property rights, and can assist you with trade marks, copyright, designs, patents, domain names, confidentiality and trade secrets. As IT lawyers, we work extensively with software and app developers with a focus on software development agreements, licensing contracts, service level agreements, cloud computing agreements and other tech and IT contracts for our clients. We have assisted software companies with their agreements both in Australia and also with international technology agreements.
Our focus is on Internet business and the legal aspects of maintaining a business website, including ecommerce terms, website branding and development, intellectual property commercialisation, licensing agreements, data protection and privacy policies. We advise on all aspects of electronic commerce, applying law to the world wide web and making contracts electronically.
Qualifications and memberships
Admitted to practice as a barrister and solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand, solicitor of the Supreme Courts of Queensland, New South Wales and Western Australia
- Bachelor of Arts | University of Cape Town
- Bachelor of Laws | University of Cape Town
- Member – Queensland Law Society
- Member – The Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- Registered Trade Mark Attorney
- Deputy Chair – QLD Technology and Intellectual Property (TIPS) Committee
- Committee Member – IT Forum Gold Coast
- Member – Open Data Institute (ODI) Queensland
Zuong Dang specialises as an intellectual property and commercial transactional lawyer.
Zuong’s practice covers both contentious and non-contentious intellectual property law matters, with a focus on the commercialisation of intellectual property rights. She has represented clients across various industries including fashion law, drone and information technology, e-commerce and the arts.
Her areas of expertise including the preparation and negotiation of commercial agreements, the commercialisation of intellectual property, copyright infringement and counterfeit products, privacy, domain name disputes, intellectual property assignment, licensing and confidentiality agreements.
As an IP lawyer with a passion for technology, innovation and collaboration, Zuong and her team at W3IP Law have been active participants in the Australian start-up community, striving to work with entrepreneurs to develop their brand identities and maximise their business model through intellectual property protection.
Zuong has a keen interest in promoting and increasing youth participation in start-ups and technology. She regularly presents overseas and to entrepreneurs on general commercial matters, trade mark practices and branding matters as well as intellectual property rights and their enforcement.
As a bilingual lawyer, speaking fluent Vietnamese and having worked in both Vietnam and Australia, Zuong plays a significant role in the firm’s key relationships with overseas clients and cross-border transactional law.
Zuong is a graduate of Bond University where she undertook a Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Arts (Psychology and Criminology) under the Dean’s Scholarship.
Qualifications and memberships
- Admitted to practice as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of Queensland
- Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice | Bond University
- Bachelor of Laws | Bond University
- Bachelor of Arts | Bond University
- Member | Queensland Law Society
- Lawyer | Bond Law Clinic
Claire Darby has twelve years experience at national and boutique law firms as a commercial lawyer, intellectual property lawyer and litigator.
Claire has extensive experience in:
- Trade marks, branding and intellectual property law, including brand creation and commercialisation of intellectual property, pre-use clearances, filing, prosecution, opposition and removal proceedings and infringement actions
- Intellectual property litigation, acting for clients in intellectual property disputes involving trade marks, copyright, domain names, designs, confidential information and trade practices
- Commercial litigation, acting for clients in matters involving general contractual disputes, media and defamation, professional indemnity, property, trusts, leases and debt recovery.
She also has over ten years experience in providing pro bono legal advice to organisations such as the Redfern Legal Centre, Inner City Legal Centre and the Homeless Persons Legal Service.Claire is a member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand and the Law Society of New South Wales. She has degrees in Law (Honours) and Business (majoring in marketing) from the University of Technology, Sydney.
Gail Butler specialises in cross-media branding, marketing and project management.
She has designed retail products, produced advertising and directed major international conferences, festivals and awards nights. Gail has worked in brand management, event production and styling for over 15 years. Her projects have ranged across film and television, screen culture, retail, art and fashion. Gail has extensive experience in:
Gail’s clients have included Foxtel, Network Ten, Sydney Film Festival, Screen Producers Australia, Tropfest, ScreenWest, Resfest, The Film and Television Institute, WA Screen Awards, Hancock Prospecting and Louche Clothing.
We Specialise in:
- Confidential information and trade secrets
- Cloud law
- Cyber law
- Data protection
- Dispute resolution
- Domain name registrations and disputes
- Electronic commerce
- Information technology and technology licensing
- Intellectual property licensing and commercialisation
- Intellectual property litigation and Federal Court proceedings
- Intellectual property management and audits
- International agreements
- International registration filing strategies
- International treaties and conventions including Madrid Protocol applications
- Passing off / misleading and deceptive conduct
- Trade mark branding strategies
- Trade mark infringement and prosecution
- Trade mark portfolio management
Empowerment: we will empower people with the confidence to confront issues.
Communication: we engage in open communication, sharing information and creating positivity.
Respect: we will value people for their ideas/goals and encourage their contributions.
Equality: we will treat people equally and fairly with equal access to opportunities.
Relationships: we will work together with and be trusted long term advisors to our clients.
Service: we will assist clients to make smart, informed decisions.
Accessibility: we will be accessible to our clients and respond to their needs quickly.
Care: we will care about our client’s business and help drive their business to succeed.